padding:30px 35px;

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

From the West to the East to the South

Seven months ago, I decided to embark on not one world adventure, but two during my MBA program at the University of Notre Dame. One trip would bring me to the Far East to China to see Beijing, Suzhou ("Venice of the East") and Shanghai, where I could visit businesses and learn about the Chinese culture. The second would take me to South America to Santiago, Chile for a "regular" module (quarter) of classes and live with a Chilean host family to improve my Spanish language skills. And, I would have 30 hours in the United States between the two excursions. Crazy, yes. Impossible, no.

As I learned from several Chinese people, "Anything is possible. But, nothing is easy." After many months of planning, research, and making contacts, I'm now in the midst of these adventures. I went to China with 37 other students from Oct. 5-20, and I am currently in Santiago with 14 other classmates until December 17. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to travel to these countries and experience other cultures. This blog includes my observations and journal entries from China, and I plan to share my Chilean experiences as I continue my journey.

I hope you enjoy reading this online journal and perhaps even find it educational. Feel free to post comments. I'd love to hear from you!!

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

Good to hear from you. Your experience and adventurous nature is inspiring. And your website/blog site is very interesting. I'm surprised to hear about all the pollution in the far east, that is something we take for granted.

It sounds like you are targeting large companies in your career search. I have a friend that works for Ogilvy in Boulder, Colorado. He is a writer and is paid very well. And he used to work for Rockwell Automation. Ogilvy purchased Leopard Communications, the firm he previously worked for less than a year ago. If you're interested, I can check with him to see if there are any opportunities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home